Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Daily Mail Readers = Prince Fans?

So I caught this article basically saying that Prince's new album is going to be given away free with the Mail (I think 'on Sunday') . Which leads me to think two things.

  1. Do the kinda people who listen to Prince read the Mail? Do the kind of people who read the Mail listen to Prince? Is the combo likely to convert one to the other? I think the answer to the above is prob' no. I suspect it is going to result in a lot of copies of the Mail in the nearest recycling bin to the newsagents, and lot of Prince albums on freecycle (though I'm not 100% that Mail readers are overly likely to freecycle either), charity shops, landfill.
  1. Was this really a sensible thing to do? Okay it's made for great launch publicity for the album and impending tour dates. But, for a start I think it devalues Prince's 'brand' (not that he has much of presence at the mo' admittedly)- partly by being associated with the Mail (but that is in part my own personal bias) partly by being associated with a cover give-away (usually the domain of the long released album or cobbled together best of) but mostly because now his UK distributor has backed out of the deal meaning they ain't gonna sell many in the mainstream over here.
Anyway - what do I know about marketing. It still dumbfounds me that if, in the world of the ad, the only thing that matters is the amount of market presence a product has as many people would have me believe, companies still pay millions for celebrity endorsements and clever ads etc.

Anyway, that's just a bit of news that caught my attention. BTW speaking of such things I've got a nifty little gadget that shows my GoogleReader items what I have shared. I find something worth reading most days, but as I'm still trying to hone what subs I want to sign up for bear with me will ya'. Any suggestion gratefully recieved. You can also catch my public feed here and it has a little RSS dealie too, so you can subscribe to my shared items in your GoogleReader and then add them to your Shared items, so then I can subscribe and then add them to my shared items and - well you get the picture.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Hmm. You wouldn't have expected the Daily Mail to be interested in a singer known for such numbers as 'Raspberry Beret'. Surely that's too much of a concession to Europe?